Tuesday 11 January 2011

Throwing crazy shapes

“Empty your cup so that it may be filled; become devoid to gain totality.”  - Bruce Lee (1975:81)

Our first task with the design of the environment was to draw 100 silhouettes of vague shapes to gain inspiration for out design. The point was to remove all preconceptions of the design and open your mind up to inspiration.
As you can see the pod silhouettes start out familiar and quite generic, I would guess since they were the first things out of my brain and also because I was too focused on practicality rather than form. However the  more silhouettes I did, the more creative they became. Especially when I started using programmes other than Photoshop to create them. Many of the later silhouettes were done using 'Alchemy' and Sketchbook Pro. Two programmes that I found excellent to use as they worked by disengaging the practical style of my thoughts and created just random shapes that I could then mould and augment as I wanted.

I started to see shapes within shapes that I was interested in and started to work on refining the designs further, keeping the ones that interested me. Finally I chose a few designs and started to work some detail into them, making them look like workable forms as opposed to abstract shapes. Interestingly many of the designs that interested me were not instantly recognisable as 'pods'.

No comments:

Post a Comment