Thursday 6 January 2011

Beginning Environment Design

Our first task with BA5 was to choose to design an environment in our game design. Due to the fact that my game is based in a very ordinary city, with very little that makes it different from any other modern urban city, I found it difficult to choose a part of my game's environment to focus on that I could be creative with.

With that in mind I decided to focus on a specific part of one of the environments in the game that was original. The nano-tech lab. As I didn't want the lab to look too far fetched I decided to further focus in and design one of the parts of the lab; one of the nano chambers.

I deliberately didn't look at existing concept designs and models for stasis chambers and the like, as I didn't want to be too influenced by what already exists. I was obviously aware of ones that I remembered from films such as the stasis pods in 'Alien', the Bacta tank in 'Empire Strikes Back' and the telepod in 'The Fly'.


But asides from these famous examples I didn't research them as I normally would. I wanted my pod to look unique. However once I started sketching out designs it became difficult not to draw something that looked either a) too similar to one or more of the above or b) too generic a shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment