Sunday 16 January 2011

Compositions.

In today's lecture we looked into using composition more in our work and the different types that exist. The composition types use mathematics and geometry to make the composition of images more aesthetically pleasing. This is something that was very useful to learn as in many of the images I had previously done for my projects, the temptation was just to stick the image on the middle. Now using the tenements of composition I'm able to make the images look a lot more aesthetic.

The picture below "Supergirl" by Adam Hughes uses the diamond type composition, quite common in the comics industry to make the subject more dynamic and heroic.


The next image uses the golden rectangle type also known as the Fibonacci sequence and is evident not only in art but in nature as well. Scientists have shown it to be prevalent in a lot of the structure of various organisms such as this nautilus, one of the oldest creatures on the planet...


This is the painting "Woman sitting on a table" by Smita Madwallipar, you can see how closely it follows many of the lines. It is hard to think that Madwallipar structured this composition by accident.


Finally the next, quite iconic picture is Drew Struzan's poster for 'Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". Whether Drew was aware of it at the time or not, as he doesn't mention it in his book but it largely follows the 'L' composition type...



I had put the final touches to my scenes and got them to look more or less how I wanted them to look but I had another obstacle... After our lessons in composition, I looked at my scenes with more of a critical eye, seeing if they lined up with Fibonacci's rule. Many of them didn't and many of them when looking at things through the critical eye of composition were poorly placed so with some advice from my tutor I cropped and rotated my images so that the centrepiece of the image is at the Fibonacci hot-spot or another tenement of composition. Below are the final images showing the lines for composition...


I took what I had learnt and applied it to my own scenes,  I was surprised how much better the images looked after the composition had been adjusted.

No comments:

Post a Comment